Wednesday 17 September 2014

WHY I DIDN'T WANT TO RUN

Running and I are on okay terms. We don't love each other. We don't hate each other. But we get along, mostly because it makes me feel good. I don't just mean health wise either. Running, for me anyway, is almost a bit like therapy. I get to go and enjoy the fresh air, take in the sights, and just think about stuff. Sure, losing weight has been great, but the feeling of knowing I'm looking after myself is better.



I haven't always been a "runner." I don't even know if I deserve that term as I'm yet to run more than 5km but it's my main form of exercise so I'm claiming it. I'm not entirely sure how I got into it but I do know that there were a few excuses that popped up from time to time that came close to discouraging me. I thought I'd share them with you, as I'm sure you have all heard (or used them yourselves) from time to time and I figured they might also be stopping you.

BOOBS
This one could just be me, but having big boobs has always made me a little unsure about running. It's not exactly the most supportive exercise and I'm not going to get into the physics of it all, but it's hard to avoid bouncing. I got over it though, strapped my boobs up and off I went.
MY SOLUTION: Double bra it. Or I'll wear a tight (like, one size too small) crop top sports bra thing over it for extra support.

I'M NOT FIT ENOUGH
Unless you are under ten years old, I don't think anyone is actually "fit" enough to run. Naturally, when you go from walking for the majority of your life to upping your speed and putting more of a bounce in your step, it's going to be hard. Nothing really prepares you for when you start running, but just know that it gets easier. I always started out walking, and then I'd get to a fitness level where I felt comfortable starting to jog.
MY SOLUTION: Start slow. Remember, the first step is hard for everyone (despite what your fitness level is) and the only way you'll improve is by starting.




I CAN'T BE BOTHERED
This is a HUGE excuse that is used constantly, myself included. It's also one that is pretty easy to give in to. With all the other pressures of life - work, school, university, partners, friends etc - it's one thing that seems to be neglected. Which is crazy when you think about it. What's more important than you and your health?
MY SOLUTION: Be bothered! Not helpful? I find that thinking about how it will make me feel after the run helps to motivate me to get out there. I know that I'll come back drenched in sweat, but feeling a lot better because I've taken the time to look after myself.

RUNNING SUCKS
Yes. Some days it does. And running might totally not be your thing. It can be exhausting. It's cardio (and can be a high intensity) which means you are using your whole body and a whole lot of energy. That's when it's important to have balance. Running shouldn't be your only exercise (even though it's currently mine) because it only works one group of muscles. I've started thinking about what other exercise I can do, and that I'll enjoy, so for those days when I don't feel like running, I can do something else.
MY SOLUTION: Find something that you do enjoy. Just because running isn't your thing, doesn't mean you should forfeit exercise. There are so many classes and activities out there that are bound to tickle your fancy. Find one, and stick to it.

These thoughts of mine aren't original. I'm not alone. They will have been thought a million times over by people all over the world. The sad thing is, these excuses have the potential from stopping you looking after yourself and being healthy and happy. Starting isn't easy. But it never is, regardless of what you're doing. Working from the bottom is hard, but it's so worth it. I think a huge part of getting passed the excuses is really thinking about why you are doing it. Stop viewing it as a form of exercise that you HAVE to do each week. Instead, remember why you are running (or doing whatever you're doing) and how it makes you feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment