Saturday 5 April 2014

Let it Go.

G R A P H I C   B Y   L O V I N G L Y,   K A T E






































A couple of days ago, a New Zealand radio presenter caused a bit of a stir after some "off air" comments were shared with the public. Smalley was heard calling women over 74kg (NZ's average weight for women) "heifers" and "lardos" following a story where research has shown that the emergency contraceptive pill may not be effective on women over 70kg.

Of course, there was outrage all across the country. People of all sizes were coming forward to tell her what they thought of the comments that she made. I agree that what she said was awful. To claim that women over a certain weight are worthy of an insulting and mean name is totally unfair. The fact that she is calling ANYONE a "heifer" or a "lardo," regardless of their weight, is pretty out of line. 

I do feel that New Zealand has overreacted a wee bit though. 

I hadn't planned on mentioning this story but I found this quote while browsing through Facebook and I wanted to share it all with you. I think it's something that we should all tell ourselves. Sometimes we just have to Let. It. Go. Sure, what she said was offensive. It was also a stupid and very inaccurate thing to say. But it's not the first nasty thing any of us have ever heard. And it's certainly not going to be the last.

People have opinions which sometimes put you in the firing line, but at the end of the day, that's their opinion. We aren't everyone's cup of tea. There's always going to be something about ALL of us that not everyone will like. But who cares. What some radio presenter thinks of a mass group of people doesn't matter to me (even though I'm apparently in the "lardo" category"), and it shouldn't matter to you.

She can say what she wants. I can say what I want. You can say what you want! Luckily we live in a world where freedom of speech is actually a thing. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean that whatever is said is going to be particularly nice, but hey! That's the world we live in. As soon as we learn to let go, and just get on with it, the better life will be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment