Thursday 20 March 2014

DIY // Fabric Garland

As I mentioned in my last post, we had a little house warming gathering in the weekend so my friends could take a look at our new place. I wanted to make a couple of decorations to add a little "sparkle" (there were literally sparkles) to the house.

I thought that I might as well make the most of our wonderful brick wall, so I had a look through Pinterest at some banner/garland ideas that might work. I settled on a tassel type garland. The ones I had seen used tissue paper but I wanted to make do with what I had at home. I still had some fabric left over from the cushion covers that I made, so I decided to use those - as well as some sequin string that I bought from a craft store. 































































W H A T   Y O U   N E E D :
Fabric scraps - whatever patterns/fabrics you like. 
Sequin string
Scissors
String/Yarn

First off, cut your fabric into strips. The length doesn't matter too much, just remember you will be folding the strips in half. Also cut your sequin string the same length. It doesn't have to be perfect as the garland will look nice with some odd lengths. 























Next, measure out the length of your garland and cut your string/yarn accordingly. Lay out the strips so you can get a good idea of how it's looking and the order you want your fabric to be in. I alternated between spots and plain, with the sequins alternating from gold to black. The best thing about this DIY is that it's not meant to look perfect so go crazy! You can't go wrong.

Then, tie your strips to the string. This part is totally up to you. You can either have long strips with a small knot at the top (just tie the strips to the string) or you can fold over your strips as I have done. Simply fold the strip in half, fold it over the string and bring the loose ends of the strips through the looped half. If that didn't make sense - here's how it works. 

Continue tying the rest of your strips and play around with the spacing until you're happy with the final look. And then you're done! You've got a cute little fabric garland that you can hang anywhere in your house.



I love this project because it's super easy and super cheap! It's also totally personal because you can use the colours, fabrics and patterns that you want. Plus, it looks good everywhere so in my eyes, this is the perfect DIY. Let me know if you try it out yourself. I would love to see what you guys come up with. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the new layout honey! and love the tassle garland too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh thank you Tillie! :) Yeah it feels a lot more like a "blog" to me now.

      Delete