Friday 3 January 2014

DIY Herb Planters










































I'm not sure if your parents/grandparents are the same, but mine are the hardest to buy presents for. They never want anything because they already have everything and I don't like buying stupid things just for the sake of giving them a present. It's a tough life I tell you.

This year I decided that I would make something for my gran. That way I knew she would appreciate it and it wouldn't be anything too big. I had a big think about what she needed and because I know she loves her garden, I decided to plant a few herbs for her in some hand painted pots.

First off, I purchased some small terracotta pots. I thought that four would do, there is no point buying herbs that she will never use. Really, you can do as many as you like. And any size you like! I would love a whole lot of mini pots. They would look so cute on a coffee table or window sill.


Next, I bought some small multi-purpose paint (which you can get from any hardware/paint store and is suitable for interior and exterior use.) I chose black and white because I wanted to keep it simple - plus I wasn't 100% sure what kind of design I would paint on. Feel free to go wild! This is all about letting your creativity loose so don't be scared to try something different.

Then, I decided on my patterns. This was probably the hardest bit, especially because there is no going back once you have started. I liked the idea of having most of the terracotta showing so I chose to just do some simplistic patterns. I think, with the black and white paint, it was definitely more effective. It was also pretty easy to do and it didn't matter that it was a little messy - I am certainly not a perfectionist. 




After that, I was done! You don't need to glaze or spray anything over the paint as it's totally water proof! 

What I love about this D.I.Y is that you can do anything. There are no rules. I would love for you to show me what you come up with, so don't forget to link your own planters in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment